Monday, November 14, 2011

Mrs. Yollis' Magnificent Blog

Mrs. Yollis has incorporated so many projects and aspects into her blog, it is difficult to find everything! Some of the widgets on the right hand side are interesting. Personally, I like the joke of the day, but also, it was really neat to see myself and my activities come up on her Live Activity Feed. I saw a comment somewhere along the way from one of her past students now in junior high that her Blogging elective class (who would've thought that would ever exist!) use Mrs. Yollis' blog as a template for their own and for ideas of widgets to download.
Mrs. Yollis also seems like a fascinating person. Because of her hard work and diligence toward teaching, she has gotten the opportunity to see and attend some incredible things- like the Google conference. And, she got to talk with National Geographic (obviously my favorite magazine) and their educational programs. Jealous! Also, she shares my love of traveling. I hope to maybe speak with her sometime about her teaching experience in Spain because I, too, hope to teach overseas in a few years. I have taken many Spanish courses, ( I also translated her blog into Spanish for the entire time I was exploring!) and have been curious of the difference of teaching/being in Spain versus South America.
A few things that stood out to me in particular were her 365- A photo a day section. I have always wanted to do that, but I guess it would be a lot easier if you had an entire class to help you out! In addition, her global connections in general are amazing (especially her close relations to the school in Australia) but the collaboration in the Ugandan Global Project stood out the most. Schools from China, Australia, and California got together to raise money for a school in Uganda. I am sure through that project, the students were able to learn an enormous amount about each of the different countries involved ( for example, each school posted about their currency and how it compares to the other countries).

Such interesting ideas. Lots to think about and consider for my own classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,
    WOW, that is awesome that you are bilingual. I have never thought about teaching over seas. Teaching in another country would be an amazing experience and learning opportunity. Good Luck with the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete