Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blog Nein

Mr. McClung Lessons Learned 2008-2009
It seems quite obvious that anyone's first year of teaching will be a tremendous learning experience and will turn many expectations upside down. However, I think it is a rare teacher that takes the time to realize, put down in writing, and reflect on just what those expectations were and how they've changed. Thus, I really enjoyed Mr. McClung's synapsis of his first year of teaching. I think his first point of being more worried about pleasing administration and meeting requirements is a worry that I, too, will have. Not only his reminder of staying "audience-driven" will be very important, but I think it also connects extremely well with his further point of actually listening to the students. Rather than stressing the importance of using technology or diminishing experienced teachers for not knowing how to use certain computer programs, I am grateful for his suggestion just to try it out, and not be afraid.

An image of the book cover of Freedom Writers, in which McClung's reflections remind me of



Mr. McClung Lessons Learned 2010-2011
McClung's first point, "Know Who Your Boss Is," is almost identical to his first point two years previous. Not a surprise, but it helped me to realize that however meaningful these lessons learned are, they are just as easy to forget and fall back into old ways of doing things. I have experienced McClung's second point of optimism and not expecting others to be as excited and flexible about change in my life. At UAB, my advisors were not willing to help me incorporate my honors program, study abroad, or the possibility; this summer, after canceling the Special Education program, nor advisors, directors, or deans were willing to put in the effort to work anything out so that I could stay in Birmingham. I can also see how McClung's situation is more difficult than it may sound.
It only takes so long for a light in a room of darkness to be dimmed.
However, I really hope that Mr. McClung, myself, and all enthusiastic, unique teachers can retain their confidence and never forget the difference they are making.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna,

    The format of your blog post is very easy to follow. I like how you used codes to italicize and bold the words that you wanted to highlight as important. I agree with the fact that it is important to know who your audience is, which Mr. McClung emphasizes in his first post. We as educators need to remember that we are here to educate the children, and sometimes we forget to focus on the children when we spend all out energy focusing on adults. As for being an optimistic teacher, I think it is important to not let anyone dim your shine. Not everyone will be happy to try new things, but you should not let that stop you from being innovative within your classroom. Your post shows that you have learned a lot from Mr. McClung, and I hope you use his tips when you become a teacher. Great job!

    ReplyDelete