Sunday, October 30, 2011

Si Por Ti Tres.

The Principal's Principles

Post Number 1:

My Comment:
Mr. Bernia,
I am a Student at the University of South Alabama studying to be a Special Education teacher. I really enjoyed your post for that reason, knowing that leadership and addressing bullying in that context will be essential for my students. Also, I was just talking to my 9 and 12 year old cousins yesterday about bullying, so I can see how all of the little different initiatives your school is taking would be very helpful to a lot of students!

Defining the line between stepping back while others incorporate their own ideas and removing yourself from the situation has always been something I need work on as a leader. Sometimes it seems like it's either "all in" or "let them work, and maybe I'll just jump back in at the end." It is definitely an important lesson to remember as I begin teaching, and for any other leadership role in life, so Thank You!

Post Number 2:
Mr. Bernia's post began with a quote, outlining the importance of teachers as the deciding factor of the environment in their classroom. He followed by noting his realized importance to teachers, faculty, and students in his school and how important it is to be an authoritative figure with the ability to correct, but also have compassion- not forgetting their humanity.

My Comment:
Mr. Bernia,
I really enjoyed this post. As I am looking forward to my future career as a teacher, I can imagine that it can be very difficult for you as a principal (and will be for me as a teacher as well) not to get caught up in what you are doing and the whole scheme of things, forgetting the little things, teachers as people, and students as children. The last line in the poem, “a child humanized or de-humanized” stood out to me in particular. My wish is to teach solely special education, so I think this line will have tremendous meaning later to me, my students, and how they are treated by the world (school) around them. Thank you for your inspiring and thought provoking…thoughts? I hope that you keep up your positive outlook and great influence on your school!

No comments:

Post a Comment