Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Sheva

Randy Pausch: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
I really admire Pausch's communication skills. He has great ideas and knows how to present them in an intriguing way. His personal stories also add a lot to the lecture. I watched this lecture in my AP Psychology class in high school, but I did not realize how much I had forgotten. I think that Pausch's story, although inspirational, got blown out of proportion. Not everyone who finds out they are going to die is in denial and pessimistic, and Randy Pausch is not the only person who has made a positive impact on the lives of others because of his diagnosis.

Setting aside his pride, I think his ploy of presenting his lecture as a parallel of fulfilling childhood dreams is very relatable. His enthusiasm (an important idea he notes!) also lets listeners realize that dreams don't have to disappear just because we grow up. A similar point I sometimes struggle with is having specific dreams. But then again, following the wind also has its benefits. Especially when you consider the quote he incorporates, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Oh boy have I learned this moving 700 miles away from my parents to go to college and thought it would be easy.

A photo of street grafitti that says, You may say I'm a dreamer, from the song Imagine by John Lennon

I guess then, it wouldn't be much of a surprise that my favorite suggestion Pausch presents is for freedom. Not only allowing breaking of the mold, but the forming of new molds future generations can learn to break. Freedom is not easy to harness, but the results are always worth it. I spent many, many an afternoon last year looking over Birmingham from the top of Red Mountain wondering where my dreams could take me, why they brought me to a city as ugly as Birmingham (luckily that mindset changed), and just how far freedom could take me. I will admit, running away crossed my mind more than once. Who knows where to. Just away. To be free.

I can't agree more with Pausch's pleading to be full of life. I heard a quote the other day that said "everyone dies, but not everyone lives." I think Pausch understands this, and had role models in his mentors, parents, and students to show him how. I hope the tigger in me is apparent and my inability to be content.
Truthfulness
Respecting authority, while being able to question it
Loyalty
and Humility
are also qualities Pausch brought up that are so important to me.

To me, one's ability to be sincere and authentic are the real keys to happiness, success, and sharing life with others.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jenna! It was very honest, self-reflective, and meaningful. I also thought the picture went very well. It is always a pleasure to read your blog because you are definitely an interesting writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very moving and touching lecture. You addressed those issues in an interesting way. What about this question: What did you learn from it that will affect your teaching?

    ReplyDelete